[systemd-devel] Seeking Advice on debugging failure to reboot

Michal Schmidt mschmidt at redhat.com
Tue Oct 11 04:37:23 PDT 2011

On 10/11/2011 12:44 PM, Barry Scott wrote:
> The full log is here:
>
> http://onelanftp.co.uk/bscott/ntb10117.netconsole.txt
>
> The first boot sequence from lines 1-182 works.
>
> The second from 188-1182 has the problem.
>
> If the kernel is at fault then I would expect to see the
> "About to execute: /bin/systemctl --force reboot" line
> and a failure to reboot.
>
> But given that line is not output I suspect its more
> likely to be an issue with systemd not getting to that
> point. And question is what stops this happening?

In the second run umount.target is not reached. It is not obvious why.
The log shows only /data, /boot and /media being unmounted in both runs.
There may be a mountpoint that refuses to die. Did you try waiting a few
minutes to see if any timeout kicks in?
It is unfortunate that we only see the messages after syslog is stopped.
Try with "systemd.log_target=console", or just stop rsyslog.service
manually before invoking reboot. This way netconsole should show more of
the events.

Michal