[systemd-devel] Restart and RestartSec in packaged .service files

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 03:48:44 PDT 2011

On 09/01/2011 09:42 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> yes and that is why "systemd" should generate a notify-mail to root as
> self-written scripts are doing since years so they could be really
> replaced with systemd - the silent restart is a unfinished thought

Again with my admin hat it should not it.

It should provide the admin with the means to take actions if an failure
occurs since in large deployments you might want send different email
depending on which service is failing like sending
hostmaster at example.com mail if bind goes down, webmaster at example.com if
apache goes down etc. and at the same time take other action like
potentially trigger abrt to send bug report or revert changes and
restart the daemon etc. as opposed to pipe a simple mail notification to
root and systemd provides exactly that to admins via OnFailure= see man
systemd.unit for details...

JBG