[systemd-devel] systemd-logind / logwatch

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Apr 10 13:23:18 PDT 2012

On Tue, 10.04.12 03:06, Reindl Harald (h.reindl at thelounge.net) wrote:

Heya,

> i have redirected "systemd-logind" messages for /var/log/messages
> to /var/log/secure on Fedora 16, but because they contain always
> an ID logwatch is flooded with this messages

systemd git now has logind log with the AUTH facility, hence this should
now happen automatically, as you requested earlier. (will be available
in f18)

> would it not be nicer to skip this ID to see in logwatch
> how often usernames created sessions via crond or whatever
>
> detail-observation if there looks something wired will
> happen with the logfile containing timestamps, the
> current behavior makes logwatch a little bit ugly

Hmm, I am not entirely sure I understand what you are asking for?

Are you suggesting that because the "logwatch" tool does not recognize
our messages it cannot reduce duplicates and you'd like us to change
logind to always generate exactly the same log message without including
the ever-increasing session ID?

Hmm, wouldn't it be more appropriate to update logwatch to deal with
this kind of output?

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.