[systemd-devel] Safe handling of root filesystem on shutdown

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Wed Apr 11 08:08:38 PDT 2012

Hi,

On OLPC laptops we are seeing that ext4 complains on every boot that
the filesystem wasn't cleanly unmounted.

Looking at systemd debug logs of a shutdown would seem to agree, I
can't see where it attempts to remount / read-only as was done with
sysvinit.

http://dev.laptop.org/~dsd/20120411/shutdown.txt

Can anyone point out how this is supposed to work - where is the code
that looks after the / mount during shutdown/reboot?

We do have a bit of a strange fs-layout, where our root fs is kept
inside /versions/pristine/X on the root partition. The initramfs takes
care of this with some bind-mount and chroot tricks so that it looks
'normal' afterwards, but maybe something along these lines is
confusing systemd.

Thanks,
Daniel