[systemd-devel] [Feature Request] systemctl --user status to output journal logs

Damien Robert Damien.Robert__sent at normalesup.org
Thu Aug 2 19:28:51 PDT 2012

Hi all,

when using systemctl status foo.service, the last journald entries
correspondingto this service are printed, which is a very nice feature of
systemd.

However, this is not the case when running a systemd --user, then systemctl
--user foo.service will not print the corresponding journal logs, even if
there are some. So here is to a feature request :)

While I am at it, I have a question about how to distinguish in the
user-mypid.journal what come from services started by the service systemd
and what come from services started by systemd --user. A look at journalctl
_AUDIT_LOGINUID=myid -o verbose show that the messages corresponding to
services started by systemd --user could be identified by their
_SYSTEMD_CGROUP of the form
        _SYSTEMD_CGROUP=/user/myname/8/systemd-30697/foo.service
                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
so something like journalctl _SYSTEMD_CGROUP='the right regular expression'
could print them, but journalctl does not seem to support regular
expression yet.

To tell the truth I was expecting to identify these messages by using
_SYSTEMD_OWNER_UID=myid, but it seem that systemd --user does not set this
property: I have some message with _SYSTEMD_OWNER_UID=myid in my logs but
they do not correspond to messages generated by the services from systemd
--user, so I don't really know what _SYSTEMD_OWNER_UID means :)

Cheers!

Damien Robert