[systemd-devel] killing udev for non-systemd systems

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Aug 14 15:20:51 PDT 2012

'Twas brillig, and William Hubbs at 14/08/12 19:01 did gyre and gimble:
> You have taken a piece of software which is important to many linux
> systems (udev) and merged it into an init system (systemd) which is not
> used everywhere for a number of reasons. Now you are planning to kill
> udev for systems that do not use systemd. Why is that? Why are you
> saying that udev on non-systemd systems is a dead end?
>
> Is there some alternative for non-systemd systems?

I think you're over reacting here.

The comment about it being a dead end is likely more related to how
device management and service management are *very* closely linked
sometimes - especially if you want to do things properly and non-racy
without lots of good will sprinkled over things in the hope that they
glue together OK. So to get the most out of udev and do things properly
you *need* to integrate properly with the init system. That's what I
read from the "dead end" statement anyway.

While I'm sure Lennart and Kay are looking forward to the day they can
drop any semblance of support for a separate udev entirely, I doubt very
much it's any time in the next little while (although I'm always
prepared to be proved wrong).

And besides, even if they do it's easy enough to fork using git and
maintain a separate version while still sharing most of the code if that
floats your boat.

I suspect in a few years time we'll see a much more focused systemd
world anyway and the people who are not using it now for whatever reason
will see the light/drink the kool-aid :p

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie