[systemd-devel] systemd hackfest on Developer Conference 2013

David Strauss david at davidstrauss.net
Tue Aug 21 08:37:19 PDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 8:15 AM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> We should have a Google+ Event for this for people to
> sign up.

It would be great to have a mini guide or blog post on the systemd
conventions for organizing a hackfest. I would have been just as happy
using Google+ for signup as EventBrite; there just wasn't any guide
nudging me in that direction. I don't like confusing people with
multiple sign-up places, either.

Knowing the best places to promote hackfests in the wider
Fedora/Suse/Arch community could help, too.

Ideally, the "guide" would suggest:

* Where to post the sign-up (Google+ seems to be emerging as the de facto place)
* Where to consider doing promotion and who controls them (mailing
lists, blogs, calendars, IRC channel subjects/greetings)
* Major events committers will be at (or would consider) that might be
ripe for a hackfest, or where to find this information

The biggest progress we've ever had in Drupal's decade of community
development have been at these sorts of events. It's hard to overstate
how great they can be for major feature kickoff and new contributor
ramp-up.

--
David Strauss