[systemd-devel] journald: listening on multiple syslog sockets

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Sun Dec 2 02:30:27 PST 2012

On Sun, Dec 02, 2012 at 02:03:32PM +0400, Dmitry V. Levin wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 01, 2012 at 08:29:42PM -0800, David Strauss wrote:
> > Why not just run rsyslog on whatever sockets you'd like and have it
> > all forward (using syslog protocol) to the journal socket?
>
> Listening on multiple sockets is almost as simple to implement as
> listening a single socket, so isn't it an overkill to run yet another
> syslog daemon just to address this simple issue?  Those who already use
> sophisticated syslog daemons like rsyslog would hardly bother with
> forwarding to journald, I'm talking mostly about basic "out of box"
> configurations where a single syslog daemon is enough and journald could
> serve this role.
Yeah, definitely. Actually the implementation part is dead simple: change
struct Server from 'int syslog_fd' to 'int* syslog_fd, size_t syslog_fd_size',
and that's about it. OTOH, doing the configuration right is more problematic:
I think that something like allowing multiple configuration lines
  ListenSyslog=/some/path
combined with the ability to load configuration snippets from
  /etc/systemd/journald.d/*.conf
would work.

Zbyszek