[systemd-devel] udev device mapper rules for early boot?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Dec 14 01:58:48 PST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Andrey Borzenkov at 14/12/12 02:58 did gyre and gimble:
> В Thu, 13 Dec 2012 15:35:11 -0800
> Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus at rath.org> пишет:
>
>> On 12/13/2012 08:35 AM, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
>>
>> Now, I could add the missing rule and program to the initrd, but I feel
>> this is really opening a can of worms, since I don't really *need* to
>> change the device ownership that early.
>>
>> Is there some way to have udev re-run this rule once it has been started
>> properly by the real init? I guess turning the lv off and on again in
>> some init script would do the trick, but that doesn't seem much cleaner
>> either...
>>

> This would be just another can of worms, really. Cannot you delay
> starting your volume until normal system boot phase? The only devices
> that are really required to be present in initrd are those for root
> (and may be for /usr if it is separate). Everything else can be started
> later.

Yeah this is one of the reasons we switched to dracut from mkinitrd in
Mageia (and in Mandriva too I believe).

If you support / or /usr on LVM, then you really need to run udev in the
initrd. Dracut makes that nice and easy.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie