[systemd-devel] udev device mapper rules for early boot?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Dec 19 08:17:18 PST 2012

On Fri, 14.12.12 08:44, Nikolaus Rath (Nikolaus at rath.org) wrote:

> Looking at the relevant scripts, there doesn't seem to be any way to do
> that either. I can only enable or disable lvm in initrd globally, but I
> need to keep it enabled to mount the root fs.
>
> However, I just looked at the devices from an initrd shell and found
> something peculiar: all the /dev/dm-* devices are owed by uid 0, gid 0,
> only the device I'm interested in is owned by 1000:0.
>
> So apparently my udev rule actually works just fine in the initrd, but
> something later on changes the permissions again, setting all the
> devices to root:disk instead.
>
> Any suggestions how to find out what's responsible for that?  Note that
> when the system is running and I re-enable the volume, it is created
> with the correct permissions (1000:disk).

What LVM does with the udev rules, is rather "special". I'd encourage
you to contact the LVM folks about this, they probably can help you
better than we We generally retrigger all devices after transitioning to
the main system from the initrd. That should usually ensure that the
rules of the main system are applied. However, afaik the LVM folks do
something weird to avoid that... Please talk to them.

Or maybe Kay has another idea?

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.