[systemd-devel] "sysctl.conf" applied too late

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Feb 8 07:40:52 PST 2012

On Wed, 08.02.12 16:07, Reindl Harald (h.reindl at thelounge.net) wrote:

> hi
>
> can someone please take a look at this
>
> in myopinion it is not optimal starting services which
> possibly read settings controlled by "systcl.conf"
> and after that the local settings get applied
>
> sample below:
>
> after boot smbd is listening on ipv6, sysctl disables this,
> but seems to do it after smbd has started, manual restarting
> the service stops smbd to listen on ipv6
>
> this may also problematic for all sort of software

Hmm, so we actually apply sysctls very early in the boot, and we do not
spawn normal services before this finished. There's one exception
however: settings on network interfaces are applied as the network
interfaces show up, but before the udev event for them showing up is
send to the applications. That means that any app running in the normal
start-up phase and/or using udev to listen for network interfaces
showing up should see sysctls only fully applied.

There must be something else going wrong here?

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.