[systemd-devel] "sysctl.conf" applied too late

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Feb 8 08:21:58 PST 2012

Am 08.02.2012 17:06, schrieb Lennart Poettering:
> On Wed, 08.02.12 17:00, Reindl Harald (h.reindl at thelounge.net) wrote:
>
>>> Hmm, so we actually apply sysctls very early in the boot, and we do not
>>> spawn normal services before this finished. There's one exception
>>> however: settings on network interfaces are applied as the network
>>> interfaces show up, but before the udev event for them showing up is
>>> send to the applications. That means that any app running in the normal
>>> start-up phase and/or using udev to listen for network interfaces
>>> showing up should see sysctls only fully applied.
>>>
>>> There must be something else going wrong here?
>>
>> wild guess: services not have "network.target" as Before/After defined an bind on
>> all avaiable interfaces? this would explained with "settings on network interfaces
>> are applied as the network interfaces show up"
>
> Hmm, so what makes me wonder here: which sysctls are this actually?
>
> NM uses udev to detect when the ifaces show up, so I'd assume we are
> safe here.

not network manager
classical configuration

net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1

the current F15 2.6.42 aka 3.2 kernels are ignoring the
/etc/modprobe.d/-tricks and any IPv6 is unwanted here
because no router/switch configured nor any IPv6 on WAN

[root at rh:~]$ uname -r
2.6.42.3-1.fc15.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Feb 3 18:53:22 UTC 2012
__________________

[root at rh:/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts]$ cat ifcfg-bond0
DEVICE=bond0
IPADDR=10.0.0.99
NETWORK=10.0.0.0
GATEWAY=10.0.0.1
BROADCAST=10.0.0.255
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
TYPE=Ethernet
BOOTPROTO=static
ONBOOT=yes
NM_CONTROLLED=no
USERCTL=no
IPV6INIT=no
IPV6_AUTOCONF=no
MTU=1500

[root at rh:/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts]$ cat ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
MASTER=bond0
SLAVE=yes
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=no
USERCTL=no

[root at rh:/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts]$ cat ifcfg-eth1
DEVICE=eth1
MASTER=bond0
SLAVE=yes
BOOTPROTO=none