[systemd-devel] [patch] adding chakra gnu/linux

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Feb 8 10:50:47 PST 2012

On Tue, 07.02.12 20:43, Tom Gundersen (teg at jklm.no) wrote:

Heya,

> On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 8:15 PM, Phil Miller <philm at chakra-project.org> wrote:
> > Since it get's more and more complex to keep up our patch to add our distro to
> > systemd it would be nice to have it added upstream. Attached your current
> > patch for systemd 40
>
> I think the patch is duplicating the parsing of rc.conf that already
> exists for Arch, so that should probably be unified.
>
> Maybe it would be just as well to build with --with-distro=arch?
> Unless I missed something, the result would be the same...

Yes, please do this!

We already have way too much distro specific support in systemd, and I
am not sure I want to see more of this, especially for smaller distros
(and a good measure for deciding which ones those are is probably
whether I have ever heard of them before).

So, I am not trying to be a dick here, but I'd very much prefer if this
could be solved with --with-distro=arch instead, or otherwise with a
downstream patch.

In fact, we are considering beginning to drop support for certain
distro-specific hacks soonishly. The first bit that will go is support
for /etc/xxxx-release, so that only distros with /etc/os-release are
supported. (Embarassingly though my own Fedora currently lacks that
file unlike many other distros, so I really need to get this fixed first
in Fedora...). Distros without /etc/os-release will still work fine, but
the welcome message will simply say "Welcome to Linux", instead of a
distro name.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.