[systemd-devel] Rethinking getty and fast user switching

Jan Engelhardt jengelh at medozas.de
Mon Feb 20 15:40:56 PST 2012

On Monday 2012-02-20 18:57, Dax Kelson wrote:
>On Mon, 2012-02-20 at 17:54 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>
>> What is currently implemented is more like this:
>>
>> 1. On systems with graphical login: tty1 is always the DM
>>
>> 2. On systems without graphical login: tty1 is always a getty
>
>[...] I teach Linux classes in rooms full of students and this is a
>constant annoyance compared to the old deterministic days.

The more reason to leave :0 on vt7 :)

Speaking of "finding the X server -- or console for that matter",
how about allocating gettys from vt1 (not *tty*1) upwards,
and X sessions from vt12 downwards?

[I was about to suggest using vt13..vt24 for a group, but then
remember not all machines have an AltGr (Ctrl-AltGr-F1 to
switch to vt13).]