[systemd-devel] Rethinking getty and fast user switching

Jan Engelhardt jengelh at medozas.de
Tue Feb 21 02:10:08 PST 2012

On Tuesday 2012-02-21 10:18, Colin Guthrie wrote:

>>> [...] I teach Linux classes in rooms full of students and this is a
>>> constant annoyance compared to the old deterministic days.
>>
>> The more reason to leave :0 on vt7 :)
>
>Think of a newbie or similar, it's just not intuitive at all to
>start numbering from 7... I mean for them a graphical UI is all they
>know, so why does it start from 7 at all?

Have them remember: Because 7 is the lucky number.

Why would your exemplary close-minded GUI-phil user even care about
Ctrl-Alt-Fn and the VT voodoo in the first place? There ought to be a
bloomy-shiny GUI for him (and his family) for switching between the X
VTs!

The OSes that nurtured these unsuspecting users in the first place
get the user switching right without having to tell them about CON:
or con0.