[systemd-devel] systemd numbers for Debian Sid/unstable system

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jul 2 17:26:55 PDT 2012

On Sat, 30.06.12 13:47, Paul Menzel (paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net) wrote:

> > >    509ms vdr.service
> > >    487ms sysfsutils.service
> >
> > What is this? This stuff sounds like something that can just go away...
>
> I was surprised too. It looks like this was installed by
> `grml-debootstrap` and I removed it using the following command.
>
>     $ sudo aptitude purge --purge-unused sysfsutils

I pretty sure this is a package to remove from the distribution
entirely.

> > Hmm, as a system service? Meh..
>
> Well, no. Debian still ships an init.d script which reads
> `/etc/default/pulseaudio` and there system mode is disabled by default.
> So I masked this one too.
>
>     $ sudo systemctl mask pulseaudio.service

Hmm, dounds a bit strange that on Debian you enable/disable that script
via a file in /etc/default, even though sysv already has a mechanism for
this, which is the done by update-rcd, right? Sounds like two levels of
turning things off where one would be sufficient and less confusing...

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.