[systemd-devel] Systemd-timedated-ntp.target removal question.

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Jul 27 03:04:50 PDT 2012

'Twas brillig, and Apostolos Bartziokas at 26/07/12 13:40 did gyre and
gimble:
> First of sorry for bringing this to the devel mailing list but there is
> no user mailing list for trivial questions.
>
> After the removal of systemd-timedated-ntp.target my tty1 hangs at
> Starting Network Time with a blinking cursor under it. It also broke
> Gnome Network time but thats a gnome problem. Other than that
> ntpd.service runs fine and the system boots OK.
>
> I read that the new implementation checks for the:
> "/etc/systemd/ntp-units.d", "/run/systemd/ntp-units.d",
> "/usr/local/lib/systemd/ntp-units.d", "/usr/lib/systemd/ntp-units.d"
> folders.
>
> I searched on the internet and haven't found an example of what should
> be in these folders. Do i just copy ntpd.service in one of them?? Is
> there anything else i should do??

See this change:
 http://svnweb.mageia.org/packages?view=revision&revision=272730
where I adapted our ntp package for this change.

Basically, ntpd (or chrony) itself is still started as normal (e.g.
enabled to start on boot). The ntp-units.d/ folder is just a high level
method to find the "right" ntp implementation when needed (i.e. it's not
run or looked at on every boot).

To explain further, if you do not have ntp enabled and you open the
gnome time preferences it should report that "Network Time" is disabled.
Enabling it will use systemd-timedated which will look for the right ntp
unit to enable via the ntp-units.d folder's *.list files. When it finds
an appropriate unit, it will first enable the service and then start it.
As it's been enabled, it will then start automatically on next boot.

So the *.list files is really just a hint to the higher level "enabling"
feature.

Hope this helps explain things a bit (and I hope my understanding of it
is correct too!)

Col

--

Colin Guthrie