[systemd-devel] systemd-udevd: excessive I/O usage

Peeters Simon peeters.simon at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 12:49:46 PDT 2012

Hello all.

while trying to optimize my bootup i noted that i could not squeeze it
under 17seconds userspace

Looking at the bootchart revealed that this is mainly due to
systemd-udevd consuming 60% of my bootup I/O.
This means i lose 12 seconds of bootup just to one process.

i was wondering whether there is any way to get this more optimized?
fewer udev rules? more readahead? something else? (i have no idea what
this I/O is, except for the fact that it is scattered all over the
place)

this was with systemd 184(from fedora18) on fedora 17.

Simon