[systemd-devel] setting up to allow separate udev and systemd builds

William Hubbs w.d.hubbs at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 19:32:22 PDT 2012

Hello Auke,

I will answer your concerns as best as I can below.

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 03:35:09PM -0700, Kok, Auke-jan H wrote:
> 1) Timing. systemd+udevd just got merged.  We had a huge build system
> change. Let's not change it drastically again entirely now.

From the point of view of a source based distro, the build system
as it currently stands is broken. Upstream supports running udev without
systemd, so why not building udev standalone as well, especially since
there is interest in doing the work?

> 2) Splitting up of Makefile.am. Sounds like a disaster waiting to
> happen and a reversal of the whole idea of merging the code in the
> first place.

Irrelivant.  If the maintainers ask me to rework the patches so that
Makefile.am is not split, I will do that. Like I have said, I am not
attempting to change the _default_ state of things.

> 3) Urgency: none to low. Source distro's would be perfectly fine
> building and maintaining the few security and bug fixes needed. AFAIK
> the merge only removed features in udevd.

Possibly, but why should we fork udev when it isn't necessary?

> 4) Can be maintained out of tree for now: Nothing prevents gentoo from
> keeping this patch out of tree for their purposes.

 Yes, we could, but what about exherbo, funtoo, linux from scratch and
 the other source based distros that may be out there?

> 5) Not in the best interest of systemd as a whole, this patch only
> increases fragmentation. I'd rather see someone maintain the
> non-merged udev source with fixes only.

So how does us maintaining the non-merged udev sources with fixes reduce
fragmentation? That seems to be a udev fork, which definitely would not
be in anyone's best interest.

I point back again to what I said under 3). I don't want to fork udev or
stall on udev-182 over this. I would rather work with the maintainers to
stay current.

William