[systemd-devel] setting up to allow separate udev and systemd builds

Wulf C. Krueger philantrop at exherbo.org
Thu Jun 14 21:45:41 PDT 2012

Hello Auke,

On 15.06.2012 06:26, Kok, Auke-jan H wrote:
> This is a design problem in ALL source based distro's (including the one
> I worked on for years) and can't be fixed by upstream. Source distro's
> should really work on doing a proper `make DESTDIR= install`

At least Gentoo and Exherbo have been doing that for years. At Exherbo,
we do a lot of sanity checks before we move things from DESTDIR to the
live fs so don't worry, we don't need to be aided by upstreams at that. :-)

>>> 4) Can be maintained out of tree for now: Nothing prevents gentoo from
>>> keeping this patch out of tree for their purposes.
>>  Yes, we could, but what about exherbo, funtoo, linux from scratch and
>>  the other source based distros that may be out there?
> they could pull the patch from gentoo's repository.

We at Exherbo try very hard to avoid any downstream-only patches in
order to avoid fragmentation and errors introduced by us (or any
third-party). This ensures that we're usually very, very near to what
upstreams expect (and support).

> I think this patch would be a lot more acceptable if you drop the split
> Makefile.am, remove the --disable-systemd option and just create an extra
> "make install-udev" target.
> It would be a lot smaller too.

And it would mostly defeat the purpose. The only remaining benefit would
be avoiding the need to manually sort things out.

--
Best regards, Wulf