[systemd-devel] Systemd socket activation of DBus in the user session

Peeters Simon peeters.simon at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 10:22:14 PDT 2012

>> also i have been running the patch succesfully (both in system mode
>> and in my systemd-gnome-session (which i will share soon)) for a while
>> now (read: since last week) without any problem.
>
> ah nice! is that on systemd HEAD? Love to see the code :^)

systemd-185-3.fc18, i dont like building a lot of stuff (poor atom cpu)

the idea is based on your code, but split up in 3 parts:
- the main daemon: starts session prepares for X and launches systemd
as user (the daemon itself stays root)
- an Xorg wrapper, responsible for extracting the X commandline passed
in trough the environment, executing Xorg and reporting back to
systemd when X is ready, this runs as a service within the user
session
- a small dbus catch/forward daemon to make logout/shutdown work
without gnome-session-manager (speaks to the systemd user session for
logout and logind for shutdown)

gnome startup went from 18 to 5sec
but i will share code soon (after i cleaned up a bit)(friday or the weekend)

also when working with systemd both on system and session level i made
a dirty modification to systemd-analyze (called systemd-analyze-dual)
to get data from system and session at the same time
(https://gist.github.com/2917504/).
this shows the big picture of the boot process.