[systemd-devel] 'Offline System Updates' examination

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 05:58:07 PDT 2012

2012/6/21 Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net>:
> But this looks like a limiation of the build system, no? The build
> system should be capable of building against a non-installed
> version. The binary distro auto builders can do that...

In Debian, they do that by installing all dependencies of a
to-be-built package into a chroot, which for our purposes is exactly
equivalent to installation to a writable snapshot. In fact, their
"cowbuilder" can use LVM snapshots, too. I don't know how this is
implemented in Fedora, any pointers?

> I think this really should be fixed in the build system, not in the
> system-update.target logic.

Point taken, and you are right that the system-update.target logic is
a bad place to solve it. What I was talking about (when mentioning
installation to a snapshot as an alternative possibility of offline
updates) indeed does not need any support from systemd - just the
ability of the package manager to set a different btrfs root mount
option for next boots.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov