[systemd-devel] Minimal builds

William Hubbs w.d.hubbs at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 08:14:50 PDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 12:50:14PM +0200, Malte Starostik wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 21. Juni 2012, 11:48:29 schrieb Lennart Poettering:
> > On Wed, 20.06.12 15:56, William Hubbs (w.d.hubbs at gmail.com) wrote:
> > > It isn't for us, because, for example, if I use option 1, I have to do
> > > the opposite of the second half of it. Our pm installs everything in the
> > > place pointed to by DESTDIR, then I have to manually remove the things I
> > > don't need. As was pointed out in a thread earlier, this is very
> > > error-prone and definitely could lead to issues.
> >
> > Hmm? This really appears to be a broken package manager. Sorry, but I am
> > not going to work around the limitations of downstream package managers
> > in upstream packages if everybody else gets this right.
>
> Oh well, just because the cherry picking happens by negating the list of what
> you want and then deleting everything else doesn't really make this "broken",
> does it?  In fact it optimises for the usual case where you want to include
> everything you get from make install.

That's correct. Our pm isn't broken. Basically we do

make DESTDIR=/some/staging/tree install

Then we can process the image in /some/staging/tree before it is
actually installed to the live fs.

Everyone else gets this right because you don't normally have to go into
the image and trash most of it to get what you need.

> I see how the needs of non-BLOB distros/users might not be your top priority
> and personally I'd definately rather push migration to systemd than investing
> too much in a split build.  Still it seems totally broken that you have to
> order a five course meal then trash all but the soup just because the menu
> contains no standalone soup.  Oh right, but you fully support eating just the
> soup.

Great analogy. I understand that binary package maintainers can do this
very easily, but it doesn't work that way on a source based distro.
What we are being asked to do is very inefficient imo, and it isn't
 because of our package manager.

WRT migrating to systemd: I am just a package maintainer. I am not in a
position where I can tell our distro that we must do that, and knowing
what I know about our distro, I'm pretty sure that migrating to systemd
isn't going to happen at this point.

> Well, maybe those who need a udev-only build could instead coordinate their
> efforts so there only needs to be one set of patches/*.pc hacks/cherry picking
> scripts.  Maybe the systemd maintainers could accept such a thing for a
> contrib/ subdir?

Something needs to be done, because there are clearly people across
multiple distros who need a udev only build for whatever reason.

William