[systemd-devel] systemd-user-units: New project for user session units, and more

Kok, Auke-jan H auke-jan.h.kok at intel.com
Fri Jun 22 00:16:15 PDT 2012

All,

I created a small project called 'user-session-units' to facilitate
better testing and ease the deployment of user sessions with systemd.
Until now, I had already created unit files for DE's like Xfce,
Enlightenment and my HTPC setup running XBMC. And of course the Tizen
Mobile UI.

But there is more to the user session to make it work, and so I've
gathered all the documentation and extra unit files needed to make it
all work and put it in a small project that can be installed as a
normal package. The project is hosted on github, and linked above.

There is an extensive README with all the docs needed to implement
user sessions yourself.

There are service files for the user session startup (auto-login
style) and the dbus session bus.

The project uses autotools and will check with pkg-config for
locations of binaries, and will only install unit files for desktop
environments that it can detect. For example, the Xfce4 files are only
installed if it finds the Xfce-session pkg-config file.

I'm extremely welcome to ideas, comments and patches for *any* desktop
environment. While I think that in the long run this project should be
removed entirely, right now the bits are too scattered around and it
is too hard for many folks to find a good place to start, and that's
the intent of the project.

Quick note: most of the units require xorg-launch-helper[1] as a
prereq. The README lists the location where you can get that project.

Cheers,

Auke

[1] for now, hosted at: http://foo-projects.org/~sofar/xorg-launch-helper/