[systemd-devel] trust of kernel messages re-routed via journald

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sun Mar 4 14:37:28 PST 2012

On Thu, 23.02.12 17:54, Rainer Gerhards (rgerhards at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am thinking on how to detect potential fake messages, claiming to be
> e.g. from the audit subsystem. Let's assume
> - auditd is stopped --> audit messages are put into the kernel log
> - journald controls /dev/kmsg and provides these via the the journal
> log socket to syslogd

I presume you mean /proc/kmsg here, not /dev/kmsg?

Note that on F17 (and most likely for much longer) systemd does not take
control of /proc/kmsg and leaves that to syslog-ng/rsyslog.

> - syslogd uses SCM_CREDENTIALS on the journald provided socket
>
> Question now: what pid will I see inside SCM_CREDENTIALS (0, 1, s/t
> else)? I assume I can use the pid to tell the difference between a
> real message and a faked one from some user process. Is that a correct
> assumption?

You will see systemd's own PID if we have no other sensible PID to fill
in. And if a message originates from the kernel we have no PID.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.