[systemd-devel] [ANNOUNCE] systemd v44

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Mon Mar 19 07:12:33 PDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 15:03, Thierry Reding
<thierry.reding at avionic-design.de> wrote:
> * Daniel J Walsh wrote:

>> I get the following error and warnings when crosscompiling for arm:

>> > Exactly how long are SELinux labels allowed to be? I couldn't find
>> > any related constants in any of the headers on my system.
>> > Alternatively, maybe a more portable way would be to use
>> > sysconf(_SC_PAGESIZE) here?
>>
>> Right now they are unlimited, but we are having discussions with
>> upstream about potentially picking a limit of around 2k.
>
> What is the time frame for this?
>
>> I have been able to generate a worse case label of just over 5k, in
>> userspace, but this would be limited to around 2k if coming from the
>> kernel.
>>
>> In NON-MlS world, SELinux labels would never be longer then 100 chars.
>
> In the meantime maybe some constant known to be an absolute maximum should be
> chosen. I don't know if the typical page-size of 4K would be enough given
> that you've been able to generate one that is larger. 8K on the other hand
> seems way too much.

It used to be NAME_MAX 255 in the past, in earlier days of
selinux/audit userspace, I think.

If longer names should be supported,  PATH_MAX 4096 sounds good to me.

If it should be crazy large, XATTR_SIZE_MAX 65536 seems to define the
upper limit anyway. :)

Kay