[systemd-devel] special characters in console

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Mar 20 13:19:24 PDT 2012

On Tue, 20.03.12 20:24, Christian Hesse (mail at eworm.de) wrote:

> Christian Hesse <list at eworm.de> on Tue, 2012/03/20 18:16:
> > I used to have problems with special characters in console, this
> > includes German umlauts (ä, ö, ü & ß) and pseudo graphical stuff
> > produced by pstree, tmux and friends.
> >
> > I fix to by appending " linux" to the agetty command in getty at .service.
> > Is there anything wring with doing that? Patch is attached.
>
> Ok, forget about it... Was confused by my habits.
>
> It's independent from whether or not I give agetty a terminal via argument.
> (Anything else should be very wired as "linux" is the default for linux
> systemd. ;) )
>
> The problem occurs on tty1. tty2 to tty6 are ok. So what is different with
> tty1?
> BTW, this is an Arch system.

Hmm, so we load the screen font in systemd-vconsole-setup, and this
currently assumes to be invoked at a time where only one VT is allocated
so that the font is inherited by all VTs created after that.

Is it possible that for you the VTs are allocated already very early at
boot and hence don't get the font applied?

If this is your problem then the right fix is probably to change setfont
so that it is capable of applying the font to all allocated VTs instead
of just the first.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.