[systemd-devel] /media as tmpfs

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Tue Mar 27 08:02:42 PDT 2012

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 16:53, Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen at err.no> wrote:
> ]] Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
>
>> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 10:36 AM, Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen at err.no> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > why is /media a tmpfs?  I think that violates user expectations that
>> > /media will be persistent across reboots, in particular any directories
>> > created and such.
>>
>> It is expected that /media will contain directories for mountpoints,
>> mostly created automatically based on media name.
>
> That's not what the FHS says, though.  It just says it's for «removable
> media», which can be more or less anything those days, including network
> mounts which you use with automount.

Yeah, I theory.

But that part of FHS, specifying enumerated directories there is one
of the most silly parts of FHS:
  "The following directories _must_ be in /media: floppy, cdrom,
cdrecorder, zip."

I would not read too much into it, it just does not make much sense at
all; somebody was clearly completely confused when writing that. :)

>> Then it makes sense to make it volatile and allows / to be read-only.
>
> If you want / to be read only, make it a symlink into /run/media and
> have a tmpfiles.d snippet that enables it?
>
> I think removing directories from /media on reboot is violating the
> principle of least surprise.

Yeah, we should leave it alone. And if people want that 'zip' and
'floppy' directories, they should be happy. :)

Kay