[systemd-devel] [HEADSUP] fstab now parsed by generator in systemd git

Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri barbieri at profusion.mobi
Tue May 22 15:05:40 PDT 2012

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 6:47 PM, Kay Sievers <kay at vrfy.org> wrote:
> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 11:13 PM, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
> <barbieri at profusion.mobi> wrote:
>
>> Lennart, Kay: I hate you damn it! :-D
>
> I have nothing against you beside that you talk total nonsense below. :)
>
>> Man, how can a fstab file be so complex to justify it? It's simpler
>> than the service files we already load. Now to simply parse /etc/fstab
>> we need to call a generator, that parses (was being done already),
>> generates a new file, that triggers inotify, that calls systemd, that
>> parses it again. Ouch, that's cumbersome at least, slow at last!
>
> Inotify? Calls systemd? Parses again? Dome already? In the above
> paragraph almost all wrong.

Well, I did not check the code. But when the generator creates the
unit in /run, it must be notified somehow to systemd, no? Isn't it
inotify?

Also, the generated unit must be parsed by systemd, that justifies
"parse again", or did I miss something?

>> One suggestion at IRC was to just keep systemd mount units. But if we
>> should go this route, then we should call to deprecate /etc/fstab.
>> Last time we discussed about it, people said it was not going to
>> happen since some tools were parsing and relying on it. Whats is the
>> way to go?
>>
>> The only way I thing this is sane is if we call to deprecate
>> /etc/fstab. Otherwise it's total bs :-P
>>
>> PS: please stop increasing my pid count... you know I hate it!
>> PS2: ls /usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-* && crie out loud!
>
> I ignored the rest of it, it would not have ended good for you if I
> continued to comment. :)

Hah, you know I'm kidding... but seriously: is there any plan to
deprecate /etc/fstab in favor of native mount units?

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems
MSN: barbieri at gmail.com