[systemd-devel] Help with pam_systemd..

Shawn Ferris shawn.ferris at gmail.com
Sat May 26 10:29:40 PDT 2012

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 11:12 AM, Kok, Auke-jan H
<auke-jan.h.kok at intel.com> wrote:

> which pam entry is this? /etc/pam.d/??

Just 'login' for now.. didn't want to keep breaking ssh by using other.

> this needs to be
>
> session   optional   pam_systemd.so ...

I tried that too and it didn't change anything, so I put it back to
the man page suggestion.

> most likely systemd --user doesn't know what to do. Have you created a
> meaningful /usr/lib/systemd/user/default.target that actually does something?
>
> e.g., create a /usr/lib/systemd/user/default.target.wants, and symlink
> some services in there.

I haven't. I figured I'd start playing with services after I could
actually get logged in with a shell. I figured out of the box, I'd at
least still get a shell. Is that not true? is there a template
somewhere that I could inspect? (I checked my fedora 16 box)

> one thing I'm missing - are you in one way or another using user at .service? If
> not, that may be the problem.
>
> You'll basically need to do the equivalent of systemctl enable
> user@<username>.service
> to tell the pid=1 systemd to autostart your systemd --user session for
> you. I don't
> think you want to only start the systemd --user instance when you
> logon, but rather,
> have it running all the time.

I have actually tried with and without this, but I can't remember the
results.. again, I figured it I could just enable pam_systemd and get
that working, I'd add on pieces at a time. I'll re-test this and post
about my findings.

Thanks for the continuing help Auke! I really appreciate it!

Shawn