[systemd-devel] logind: multiseat without framebuffer graphic cards

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Nov 24 14:34:07 PST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Lennart Poettering at 23/11/12 17:18 did gyre and gimble:
> On Thu, 22.11.12 13:27, Thomas Bächler (thomas at archlinux.org) wrote:
>
>> For me, the major problem is that the selection of "seat master devices"
>> is hard-coded in logind (it selects devices of type "graphics" from
>> udev, [1]). Step 1 would be to move that to a udev rule: Add a
>> "seatmaster" tag to all graphics devices and have logind select those
>> (this would actually remove three LOC in logind.c, and change one line).
>> Now, an admin could give this tag to any device. This fix is very easy,
>> non-invasive and would make logind's multi-seat support much more
>> flexible (it also allows an admin to do very stupid things, but I don't
>> see any reason to prevent that).
>
> "seat-master" sounds like a good name for this. I'd be happy to merge a
> patch that changes logind so that it watches for devices tagged with
> this, and spawns an X server the moment such a device appears.

Speaking of which, is there any reason the gdm does the seat watching
right now and takes care of spawning new seats... Shouldn't systemd
start gdm in the same way it starts getty's? i.e. via a templated unit?
getty at tty1.service, gdm at tty2.service etc.?

Or is this exactly what you're suggesting?

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie