[systemd-devel] journal space requirements

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Nov 29 02:37:26 PST 2012

Hi,

So a couple complaints/queries are beginning trickling in regarding
journal space requirements.

A user was complaining that rotated journals were taking up too much
room and they could be compressed down etc. I did explain that a rotated
journal is really any different to the current journal other than it can
be sealed, but I do fear he has some kind of point regarding long term
storage.

Should there be some kind of journal archiver system that will run xz -9
on older journals? Is this something that's being planned or is it left
as an exercise for the reader to implement such long term
storage/archiving systems?

IMO it would be nice to be able to trigger such service when the journal
is rotated (i.e. a templated unit) that can either just compress the
journal in place (assuming the user does not want to be able to read
from it actively any more) or copy a compressed version to some archive
dir to do with as the user pleases.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie