[systemd-devel] .journal~ files

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Thu Nov 29 03:44:08 PST 2012

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 10:24:48AM +0000, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have several .journal~ files in my journal dir... without me digging
> into the source, can someone explain what these are and if I can safely
> remove them (as they are quite large!) like most other ~ files.

They are rotated journal files. Each time journald opens an uncleanly
closed journal file, it will rotate. Also if the index structures in
the journal file are too full, or the file is too big, it will be
rotated.

You can remove them, naturally losing the messages. They don't have to
be in order or anything, so you can just remove the big ones losing
some of the messages.

Zbyszek