[systemd-devel] startup performance

Allmeroth, Robert robert.allmeroth at harman.com
Mon Oct 8 06:36:25 PDT 2012

Hello,

While playing around with systemd and our automotive setup we found that systemd checks some kernel features at startup (from systemd 33).
static const char * const kmod_table[] = {
        "autofs4", "/sys/class/misc/autofs",
        "ipv6",    "/sys/module/ipv6",
        "unix",    "/proc/net/unix"
};
If they are not available - they are modprobed.

The problem is that any modprobe takes ~1 second, which kills our startup.
If we compile these features into the kernel, the kernel boot time increases.

Question(s):
Are these kernel features really needed in the early startup phase?
I agree to 'unix' but in an automotive environment  'ipv6' and 'autofs4' are typically needed at a later point in the startup (or not needed at all).

Is it possible to provide them as unit files so that they can be loaded if really needed?

Best regards
  Robert

ROBERT ALLMEROTH
Harman Automotive Division

Becker-Göring-Straße 16
76307 Karlsbad
Phone: +49 (0) 7248-71-1156
Fax: +49 (0) 7248-71-2156
Email: Robert.Allmeroth at harman.com
Web: www.harman.com

[cid:image002.jpg at 01CDA56A.AD212780]

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by return e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.