[systemd-devel] udevd creates unwanted loop devices, and too early

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Sat Oct 13 04:26:19 PDT 2012

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 11:50 PM, Jan Engelhardt <jengelh at inai.de> wrote:
> on openSUSE 12.2, which has udev-182 and systemd-44, I found that
> starting udevd creates some loop devices in /dev (which is a devtmpfs).

> Now, in /etc/modprobe.d/99-local.conf, I have set forth:
>
>   options loop max_loop=256 max_part=15

You should avoid using max_part=, which changes the way minors are
assigned. It's not compatible with SUSE's pre-created devices nodes.

losetup has proper loop allocation code, pre-creation is not needed.

Also loop devices have proper native partition support in the kernel
since quite a while, and this (broken) option should just not be used
today.

Kay