[systemd-devel] journalctl | grep -v mail.*

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Tue Oct 23 13:38:48 PDT 2012

I'm trying to learn journalctl a bit.

I'd prefer if I could do a grep -v, but in journalctl using some
argument, e.g. -v.

E.g. show me all the logs _except_ mail related things:
$ journalctl -v -f SYSLOG_FACILITY=2

ideally (could this be implemented?):
$ journalctl -v -f SYSLOG_FACILITY=mail

I noticed the SYSLOG_FACILITY for postfix is given as "2", shouldn't
that be 16? In /usr/include/sys/syslog.h it has 2<<3 for LOG_MAIL, I'd
expect that to be in SYSLOG_FACILITY. At the moment I'm still using
rsyslog and /etc/syslog.conf allows me to redirect mail related things
just fine, example:
mail.=debug;mail.=info;mail.=notice             -/var/log/mail/info.log

Goal: something funny is going on, no clue what is causing it, but not
mail messages. They should not be shown as they clutter the output.

Maybe you want an entire expression thing on the command line, like find
has. At the moment a -v would be more than enough for me.

--
Regards,
Olav