[systemd-devel] moving the journal during bootup

Cliff Brake cliff.brake at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 12:45:21 PDT 2012

Hello,

We have an embedded system where we boot from an initramfs, but partway
through the boot, we would like to move the journal to NAND flash if its
available.

I tried modifying the systemd-journald.service to Requires my
nand-mount.mount unit, and that seems to work on bootup, but there is some
type of deadlock on shutdown.

Any thoughts on how you would approach this problem?  Ideally, we could
switching the journal location after it is started.  2nd best would be to
delay the journal starting until the storage medium was available.

Thanks,
Cliff