[systemd-devel] Problem with systemd-timedated

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Sat Oct 27 04:53:54 PDT 2012

On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Maciej Piechotka
<uzytkownik2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> After some update of systemd the systemd-timedated stopped starting
> automatically which causes troubles for timezone settings. I cannot find
> anything in logs. When I run it by hand everything works.

What kind of trouble?

> Any ideas what might caused it? I'm currently using systemd 198 (and 199
> is just being installed).

Hmm, you are message from the future? :) We are only at 195 now.

> # systemctl status systemd-timedated.service
> systemd-timedated.service - Time & Date Service
>           Loaded: loaded
> (/usr/lib64/systemd/system/systemd-timedated.service; static)
>           Active: inactive (dead)
>             Docs: man:systemd-timedated.service(8)
>                   man:localtime(5)
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/timedated
>           CGroup: name=systemd:/system/systemd-timedated.service
>
> # systemctl enable systemd-timedated.service
> The unit files have no [Install] section. They are not meant to be
> enabled using systemctl.

That's all fine, it's bus-activated. It will not run unless something
calls into it. It was always like that.

Does this work for you?

$ gdbus introspect --system --dest org.freedesktop.timedate1
--object-path /org/freedesktop/timedate1 --only-properties
node /org/freedesktop/timedate1 {
  interface org.freedesktop.timedate1 {
    properties:
      readonly s Timezone = 'Europe/Berlin';