[systemd-devel] systemd intentional behaviour? (signals)

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Sep 7 09:48:58 PDT 2012

On Fri, 24.08.12 00:54, Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi (vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar) wrote:

> Hello
>
> Just for fun I am sending some signals to systemd (188) to see how
> reacts compared to sysvinit. While sysvinit ignores them or restores
> from "crash" after 30 seconds of sleep, systemd/journald just logs
> the status them freezing execution.
>
> Example
>
> kill -SEGV 1 -> freeze
> kill -QUIT 1 -> freeze
>
> Sending other signal again result in a crash (attemped to kill init)
>
> Is this intentional? There is a way to restore systemd again without
> a forced reboot?

Yes, this is intentional. If we crash (or the user kills us) we print a
warning and freeze. If the user kills us again then we return control to
the kernel. Sounds like a really reasonable reaction to some really
pointless action by the user.

I mean, the user issued the kill commands, hence he probably has a
reason to, even if that reason is "I want to shoot myself in the
foot" -- and hence we do what we do.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.