[systemd-devel] alsa-restore.service seems to be too early

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Sep 14 05:29:22 PDT 2012

'Twas brillig, and Вечный Студент at 13/09/12 11:30 did gyre and gimble:
> 13.09.2012, 02:08, "Lennart Poettering" <lennart at poettering.net>:
>
>> Hmm, weird. I'd recommend pinging the ALSA folks about this. If
>> the control device doesn't work while the udev rules are executed
>> this sounds like a driver bug and should be fixed in the kernel!
>
> I'm not sure all drivers writers are ready to fit their drivers/utils
> to udev/systemd demands :) Probably udev/systemd will win being
> adapted to current reality. And - yes, I know these thesis can not be
> true here :) But the thing is, there is the same problem with another
> alsa driver (and another details):

Things always need updated when the stuff that uses them gets improved.
We found out the hard way with PulseAudio when bugs exactly like this
and many more surfaced just because PA was pushing the drivers to their
limits.

That doesn't change things. It's still something that needs fixed where
it needs fixed.

The same thing would happen right now with PulseAudio if we were dealing
with USB devices (there were several problems in the past when the
control device appeared before the PCM device for example which really
screwed up PA's hotplugging). The only realistic fix is to identify
where the problem is and fix it there. Adding kludges and work arounds
is not going to make anything "better". It might make things "work" but
that really depends on how you define "working".

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie