[systemd-devel] Handling lid close in logind?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Sep 17 15:28:42 PDT 2012

On Mon, 03.09.12 22:10, Matthias Clasen (matthias.clasen at gmail.com) wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 5:17 AM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I don't think the desktop guys want any kind of authentication when
> > the lid is closed. How feasible would it be to do the suspend when the
> > inhibit is removed? I guess then it puts logind into a "active but
> > will suspend asap" state which might be difficult to handle.
>
> As I said on irc, the user experience I envision in this case is:
>
> - user closes lid
> - polkit dialog is shown (not useful because the lid is closed)
> - we beep a few times to cause the user to open the lid and see the dialog
> - if the lid is not opened, we forcefully suspend after a few seconds
>
> A similar situation where we can't wait for a policykit dialog to be
> answered is emergency shutdown when the battery runs empty.

So, what I wonder is: if this inhibitor is supposed to be ignored, why
take it in the first place? I mean, the inhibitor is supposed to
inhibit, no?

To me it appears really as if the inhibitor should not have been taken
in the first place/not have been allowed to be taken in the first place,
rather then not being honoured after it was successfully taken.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.