[systemd-devel] [ANNOUNCE] systemd 190

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Sep 20 13:39:55 PDT 2012

Heya!

Many many bugfixes, but also a number of smaller features:

http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/systemd-190.tar.xz

CHANGES WITH 190:

        * Whenever a unit changes state we'll now log this to the
          journal and show along the unit's own log output in
          "systemctl status".

        * ConditionPathIsMountPoint= can now properly detect bind
          mount points too. (Previously, a bind mount of one file
          system to another place in the same file system could not be
          detected as mount, since they shared struct stat's st_dev
          field.)

        * We will now mount the cgroup controllers cpu, cpuacct,
          cpuset and the controllers net_cls, net_prio together by
          default.

        * nspawn containers will now have a virtualized boot
          ID. (i.e. /proc/sys/kernel/random/boot_id is now mounted
          over with a randomized ID at container initialization). This
          has the effect of making "journalctl -b" do the right thing
          in a container.

        * The JSON output journal serialization has been updated not
          to generate "endless" list objects anymore, but rather one
          JSON object per line. This is more in line how most JSON
          parsers expect JSON objects. The new output mode
          "json-pretty" has been added to provide similar output, but
          neatly aligned for readability by humans.

        * We dropped all explicit sync() invocations in the shutdown
          code. The kernel does this implicitly anyway in the kernel
          reboot() syscall. halt(8)'s -n option is now a compatibility
          no-op.

        * We now support virtualized reboot() in containers, as
          supported by newer kernels. We will fall back to exit() if
          CAP_SYS_REBOOT is not available to the container. Also,
          nspawn makes use of this now and will actually reboot the
          container if the containerized OS asks for that.

        * journalctl will only show local log output by default
          now. Use --merge (-m) to show remote log output, too.

        * libsystemd-journal gained the new sd_journal_get_usage()
          call to determine the current disk usage of all journal
          files. This is exposed in the new "journalctl --disk-usage"
          command.

        * journald gained a new configuration setting SplitMode= in
          journald.conf which may be used to control how user journals
          are split off. See journald.conf(5) for details.

        * A new condition type ConditionFileNotEmpty= has been added.

        * tmpfiles' "w" lines now support file globbing, to write
          multiple files at once.

        * We added Python bindings for the journal submission
          APIs. More Python APIs for a number of selected APIs will
          likely follow. Note that we intend to add native bindings
          only for the Python language, as we consider it common
          enough to deserve bindings shipped within systemd. There are
          various projects outside of systemd that provide bindings
          for languages such as PHP or Lua.

        * Many conditions will now resolve specifiers such as %i. In
          addition, PathChanged= and related directives of .path units
          now support specifiers as well.

        * There's now a new RPM macro definition for the system preset
          dir: %_presetdir.

        * journald will now warn if it can't foward a message to the
          syslog daemon because it's socket is full.

        * timedated will no longer write or process /etc/timezone,
          except on Debian. As we do not support late mounted /usr
          anymore /etc/localtime always being a symlink is now safe,
          and hence the information in /etc/timezone is not necessary
          anymore.

        * logind will now always reserve one VT for a text getty (VT6
          by default). Previously if more than 6 X sessions where
          started they took up all the VTs with auto-spawned gettys,
          so that no text gettys were available anymore.

        * udev will now automatically inform the btrfs kernel logic
          about btrfs RAID components showing up. This should make
          simple hotplug based btrfs RAID assembly work.

        * PID 1 will now increase its RLIMIT_NOFILE to 64K by default
          (but not for its children which will stay at the kernel
          default). This should allow setups with a lot more listening
          sockets.

        * systemd will now always pass the configured timezone to the
          kernel at boot. timedated will do the same when the timezone
          is changed.

        * logind's inhibition logic has been updated. By default,
          logind will now handle the lid switch, the power and sleep
          keys all the time, even in graphical sessions. If DEs want
          to handle these events on their own they should take the new
          handle-power-key, handle-sleep-key and handle-lid-switch
          inhibitors during their runtime. A simple way to achiveve
          that is to invoke the DE wrapped in an invocation of:

          systemd-inhibit --what=handle-power-key:handle-sleep-key:handle-lid-switch ...

        * Access to unit operations is now checked via SELinux taking
          the unit file label and client process label into account.

        * systemd will now notify the administrator in the journal
          when he over-mounts a non-empty directory.

        * There are new specifiers that are resolved in unit files,
          for the host name (%H), the machine ID (%m) and the boot ID
          (%b).

        Contributions from Allin Cottrell, Auke Kok, Brandon Philips,
        Colin Guthrie, Colin Walters, Daniel J Walsh, Dave Reisner,
        Eelco Dolstra, Jan Engelhardt, Kay Sievers, Lennart
        Poettering, Lucas De Marchi, Lukas Nykryn, Mantas Mikulėnas,
        Martin Pitt, Matthias Clasen, Michael Olbrich, Pierre Schmitz,
        Shawn Landden, Thomas Hindoe Paaboel Andersen, Tom Gundersen,
        Václav Pavlín, Yin Kangkai, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.