[systemd-devel] OSTree mount integration

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Sun Sep 23 19:26:16 PDT 2012

So I have this "boot into chroot" system that I wrote for GNOME:

https://live.gnome.org/OSTree/

Where the two interesting aspects here are:

1) I want the ability to allow people to try GNOME builds natively
   without destroying their root partition - hence, chroots.
2) This allows for fully atomic upgrades.

Now, basically right now systemd doesn't understand the fact that it's
in a chroot, and fails to do things like remount the rootfs read-only
when rebooting, etc.

https://live.gnome.org/OSTree/MultipleRoots

Is there any opposition to having systemd support this setup?  It
already detects virtualization and containers at the moment, so it seems
like it'd make sense.

I'm totally willing to change around the bind mount setup, but I think
the most basic support is going to be basically just looking for the
root filesystem on /sysroot instead of /.

If there's no objections I'll be looking at doing some patches for the
GNOME 3.8 cycle.