[systemd-devel] 70-persistent-net.rules

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Apr 11 06:21:23 PDT 2013

'Twas brillig, and Kay Sievers at 11/04/13 12:51 did gyre and gimble:
> On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
>
>> Should we then consider trying to push a new default name scheme into
>> the kernel side such that they come up as "eth-ng0" etc. by default
>> allowing any userspace stuff to rename them to "eth1" or whatever
>> without so much likelihood of such conflicts.
>
> That would be the only manageable option if such rules would be need
> to make working. The kernel could have a parameter to reserve eth0-99,
> or so and the first interface it creates would be eth100.

Yeah an increased starting index would likely make more sense than a
separate naming scheme (and be less "controversial). A compile time
option + a command line override would likely cover all bases :)

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie