[systemd-devel] Logging in an enterprise environment

Cecil Westerhof Cecil.Westerhof at Snow.nl
Tue Dec 10 03:16:08 PST 2013

After giving a presentation about systemd/journald I am seen as the
expert, so they come to me with the challenges they see.

As I understand it, journald is mend to log locally. Two methods to log
centrally are, if I have understand it correctly:
- mounting and merging through NFS
- systemd-journal-gateway

Whereby the first would be the preferred method.

That would not be always acceptable for our clients. As I understood it
there are environments where now 700+ systems are monitored from one log
server. Using NFS for this would ask to much resources. I think that
systemd-journal-gateway also would not be very handy for this because it
is a pulling solution.

To make things even more complicated: sometimes they want no local
logging at all, all logging should be done remotely, so that not one
user on the system could read the logs.

Would something like this be possible to implement? If so, how much work
would it be? Probably our company would be prepared to let programmers
write this functionality.