[systemd-devel] user at .service doesn't stop on logout

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Dec 10 10:19:54 PST 2013

On Mon, 09.12.13 20:56, Thomas Bächler (thomas at archlinux.org) wrote:

> In systemd 208 and latest systemd git, every user gets a new
> user at .service instance when they login. However, when their last session
> exits, that service is not terminated.
>
> After a few weeks of uptime on one of my servers, dozens of
> user at .service units are running, belonging to users that logged in weeks
> ago and haven't been seen since. Is this really the intended behaviour?
>
> Random screenshot: https://paste.xinu.at/RZn/

That service should be reference counted by the sessions of the users
logging in. I should hence go away if the users successfully log out
from their last session.

Your screenshot shows the user as "closing". Usually that state is only
entered if there are processes still around of the user even though the
user logged out (such as screen). That's at least the theory, but there
might be some bug left.

Do you see any session of that user still around when you run into this
issue?