[systemd-devel] Questions I got about systemd

Cecil Westerhof Cecil.Westerhof at Snow.nl
Wed Dec 11 07:37:48 PST 2013

On 12/06/2013 01:18 PM, Mantas Mikulėnas wrote:
>  > Is it possible to do an automatic shutdown when there is no more room
> to for journald to log? (They did not want to have logging removed.)
>
> Currently no. journald tries to never use more than the configured % of
> disk space and rotates away old logs, so it won't ever see a "disk full"
> error. But a syslog daemon might help.

The person asking it found it not acceptable that logging disappeared.
But it could be done by a cron job of-course.

>  > Is there something to automatically convert the inittab?
>
> No. But there is very little to convert; in most distros inittab was not
> used to run services directly (aside from getty, which systemd always
> ships unit files for, and xdm/kdm/gdm, which also ship their own).

I did not find it hard to convert. ;-) Next time I am asked this, I have
an answer. Thanks.