[systemd-devel] getty : how to run getty on every ttyX

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Dec 13 07:15:33 PST 2013

On Fri, 13.12.13 15:12, Daniel P. Berrange (berrange at redhat.com) wrote:

> > /dev/tty1, /dev/tty2, ... make no sense in containers as there is no
> > virtual console.
>
> For each <console> device that you list in the container configuration
> with libvirt, it will allocate a /dev/pts/NNN device, and add a symlink
> from /dev/ttyN to the /dev/pts/NNN slave.  What we'd like is for guest
> OS to be able to setup  agetty processes on any <console> device libvirt
> has configured for the container automatically.

Humm, I'd prefer if you wouldn't create such symlinks, as it suggests
those devices would actually be full VT devices, but they aren't, they
speak a different $TERM and have no matching /dev/vcsa stuff and don't
speak the ioctls....

> We had discussed this back at Linux Plumbers last year, and at the time
> you had suggested that rather than create /dev/ttyN symlinks we should
> instead do something like  /dev/containerttyN instead, and set a
> 'container_tty' variable containing a list of all those device names
> so that systemd can discover them sensibly. We never got around to
> doing this from the libvirt side, and AFAIK systemd hasn't done anything
> on its side either. So is this still a suitable way forward ?

Yeah, I am pretty sure that's what we should do. I figure I should hack
that up. I'll work on it now.