[systemd-devel] remote journal enhancements

Holger Winkelmann [TP] hw at travelping.com
Wed Dec 18 08:22:48 PST 2013

Hi

> > By writing distributed applications we will look further for log
> > aggregation in the style of the systems-journal-gateway.
> > Regarding this I would like to know about the idea and plans of
> > the systemd community. Following the emails about logger optimization
> > Lennart mentioned something about kdbus transports for logging (on
> > kdbus systems) further systemd has usually dubs APIs for introspection
> > but the journal is access directly by journalctl and the corresponding
> > C-API.
> Yes, that's not going to change. Kdbus might be used for *sending* messages,
> because it makes sends metadata about the sender and removes the need
> for the (very slow and racy) querying of process attributes through
> /proc. OTOH *reading* is going to stay independent of journald. In
> some cases that would be even impossible, e.g. when journald is
> running within a container, and we are looking at the logs from
> outside.

Thats would be my view as well, but wanted to make sure we are on the right
track. Sending and reading are two different things.

> > Are there any plans/ideas to give the journald a D-Bus/kdbus API for
> > querying
> > the journal? Or should reading/querying the journal totally decoupled
> > from journald in a daemon like systems-journal-gateway?
> >
> > If we work on a separate journal-gateway do you have any ideas/requirement
> > about the API this should expose, again like D-Bus for local communication
> > and i.e. HTTP, JSON-RPC, AMQP etc. for remote communication? Should we
> > include any access control which honors the underlying journal fils ACLs
> > or should we have ACLs for given fields on the journal?
>
> Not directly related, but I intend to dig out my send-messages-over-http [1]
> patches and adapt them to sd-event and resend during the christmas break.

means to send a message over HTTP which ends up in the journal, basically the counterpart
of systems-journal.gatewayd? What do think is the best transport representation for
remote logging:

a) keep the binary (hopefully compact and fine for sending over binary protocols)
b) use the EXPORT format (seems plain text based?)
c) JSON (great HTTP I assume)

Holger

--
Holger Winkelmann
Managing Director

email: hw at travelping.com
phone: +49-391-819099-223
mobil: +49-171-5594745
http://www.linkedin.com/in/hwinkel

Travelping GmbH               phone:           +49-391-8190990
Roentgenstr. 13               fax:           +49-391-819099299
D-39108 Magdeburg             email:       info at travelping.com
GERMANY                       web:   http://www.travelping.com

Company Registration: Amtsgericht Stendal Reg No.:   HRB 10578
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Holger Winkelmann | VAT ID No.: DE236673780