[systemd-devel] porteus and systemd

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 04:36:52 PST 2013

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 1:06 PM, Roelof Wobben <r.wobben at home.nl> wrote:
> hello,
>
> Im trying to port Cinnamon to porteus.
> Porteus is a slackware based distro which work with modules.
>
> The problem is that Cinnamon works the best with systemd and slackware
> refuses to use systemd.
> Now I want to try to make systemd work on a porteus system so that I have a
> slackware based system with systemd and Cinnamon.
>
> The biggest problem is that im not a coder.

If you can port Cinnamon to a distro, most likely you can port systemd
to a distro just as well.

0. Install all dependencies – a recent kernel with required options;
PAM; a /sbin/login with PAM support. The requirements are listed in
the README [1].

1. Compile systemd, install to the usual location (/usr).

2. Add pam_systemd.so to your PAM configuration for the "login" and
"gdm-password" services (at least; probably also others like sshd).

3. Set systemd as your default init system (completely replacing
/sbin/init and current "Porteus startup scripts"), and reboot to it.
Check if you can log in, if `systemctl` works, etc.

4. If you want to use `startx`, copy this [2] into
/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc, to make it work nicely with systemd-logind.

5. For all daemons you have installed (or at least the ones you need),
convert init scripts to systemd units. (systemd comes with units for
booting to agetty; you can copy the rest from Arch, Gentoo or maybe
Fedora.) Some daemons already come with systemd support and units.

6. ???

7. systemd!

[1]: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/tree/README
[2]: https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/xserverrc?h=packages/xorg-xinit